Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Myself Pondering the world and life in one of my favorite places on the planet, that being sitting in a Crow Vision quest in the Pryor Mountains of Montana.

Below is a poem sent to me today from Jeanne Fox that pretty much says exactly how I feel about a good horse and life!

Liz


'HEART'
I spoke to a friend just the other day
Who's got lots of opinions and plenty to say.
We discussed what we both like to see in a horse...
His requirements and mine were different of course.
He likes a clean throat latch and a long skinny neck
And requires that their hocks are set close to the deck.
Short backs and hard feet and a clean slopin' shoulder
And a gaskin that looks like it swallered a boulder.
He likes a short face and a big ol" eye,
And says these are the horses he's likely to buy.
Well when he'd completed his lengthy discourse on all of the attributes of the quality horse.
He asked my opinion,
And where do I start,
And I said that
I... just want horses with heart.
I said I want heart, above all the other...
I don't care if he's Smart Little Lena's full brother,
Or just how much money that his grandmother won,
Or whether he's roan, palomino or dun.
But give me a horse with some grit and some try,
Some heart and some guts and that's the one that I'll buy.
And I've found it's the same with a woman or man,
The good ones won't quit you when the shit hits the fan.

By Monte Baker